A retired lab technician is looking for info in a fight for justice that he initiated against his past employers. He was diagnosed with a fatal asbestos-related lung issue approximately 10 years after his retirement.
Geoffrey Maud, who resides in Stockton, developed a disease known as pleural thickening because of job with and around asbestos in steel factories and chemical industries during his employment that spanned approximately 50 years. Maud is staying with his wife Mrs. Margaret. He is 72 years old.
Maud, the grandfather of 2, is now in communication with some industrial illness experts to collect proof on the working conditions at Middlesbrough-based Dorman Long’s Redcar plant; British Titan Produts (Tioxide Ltd), Haverton Hill, Billingham; and Cleveland Chemicals, Billingham, where he worked as a technician and chemist.
Maud thinks he was exposed to the toxic dust of asbestos while working at factories because he normally wore gloves insulated with asbestos and used equipment like asbestos string. Maud states that he was regularly covered by poorly maintained asbestos-containing pipes.
“After I almost recovered from a stroke in year 2005, I believed the worst of health issues I’ve developed were behind me.
“But when I came to know that my health condition was because of exposure to asbestos, I was really shocked. I became frustrated as I could do nothing about it,” he said.
“I just could not believe that all the hard works all through my employment had been basically contributing to my disease. Unfortunately, nobody warned me that exposure to asbestos could have such severe impacts on my future health,” Maud said.
He initially began to find there was an issue when he started feeling breathless 3 years ago. Breathlessness is a major symptom of the asbestos-related lung problem known as pleural thickening. He became breathless and tired, and found increasing difficulty for walking. He says even simple routine tasks such as getting dressed made him feel exhausted.
In 2009, he was initially diagnosed with a respiratory illness. Then his condition started worsening. He began undergoing regular medical checkups at the North Tees Hospital. In year 2012, he was informed that he had developed pleural thickening that could have been caused by his asbestos exposure in the past.
One of the factors that make the diagnosis of asbestos-related diseases extremely hard is that they usually take decades to appear after an individual is exposed to asbestos fibers.